Friday, June 21, 2013

Trains, orphans, and summer camp!

This week I took a mini trip to a small city called Barlad. There is a summer camp there for foster kids that a program out of Salt Lake called Bridge of Love supports. It is a really great program that places kids in foster families so they aren't in orphanages their whole life. Families can “sponsor” a kid from Romania meaning they send $50 a month to the foster family to support that child. They also helped to set up a program in Romania that helps to place kids in foster families. The camp is put on each year with the foster families in Bridge of Love. You can visit their sight and learn more here:

http://www.bridgeofloveromania.com/

Anyway, just me Aislynn went up for two days to spend time with these kids and I had a great time! Train rides seem to be a big part of my experience here. I talk about them all the time because they really are an experience. We woke up at 4am to take the 5am train to get to Berlad before the camp started. The countryside is SO beautiful! Like unreal beautiful. I took several pictures, but they just don't do it justice.

 
Miles and miles of green across Romania

What seems different about this picture? This is SO Romanian!
There is a look here that I am getting used to seeing. I call it the "I want to talk to you look" and it goes like this.
  1. A group of younger teenagers stare at you
  2. They stare at you longer and follow you around a little
  3. They get a group of their little friends together and giggle talk amongst themselves about you. You hear little bits of English being practiced
  4. One brave soul finally comes up to you and tries out their English on you. It makes me feel pretty cool for a short time
Anyway, a moment like that happened on the train when this little 14 year old boy talked to us in English. He asked where I was from and when I told him he asked if I had pictures. I did! During the winter when I was home, I practiced my panarama picture setting on my phone to take a picture of the whole cow pasture across the street from my house. I pulled up that picture on my phoen to show the boy. Not until I showed him did I realize, as I looked out the window at the beautiful green Romanian countryside, what an ugly image I was giving him of the U.S. Oops! I showed him a beautiful picture of BYU's campus to make up for it though!
Unfortunate picture I chose to impress the Romanians
 Anyway, back to the reason I was there! All the kids that go to the camp were in an orphanage several years ago, but since then and thanks to the work of some wonderful people were placed into families. I had such a great time with these kids and other awesome volunteers!


During craft and music time

Along with some sweet kids, I met some really inspiring people!


Me and Aislynn over-looking the city Barlad

Taking over the See-Saw with Ioana, one of the wonderful interpreters for the camp!

Taking some see-saw time at the orphanage
I was able to talk to and get to know Ioana, among many others, and what they've done for the children in Romania. Inspiring stories and strong people!

It was just a couple days but it was great to see what other things are being done for the kids in Romania. There are a lot of people aware and full of love for this children! It made me even more grateful for my work and the opportunity I have to have such direct contact with the kids here. 


No comments:

Post a Comment