Monday, June 10, 2013

Miss Black sees the Black Sea





Like Inception is a dream within a dream, this past week I look a vacation within a trip. Living in Iasi for 3 months can’t be considered a “vacation” because I am working hard every day, but we were able to have 4 days of bliss along the coast of the Black Sea this weekend. The small price we had to pay was the most terrible 9 hour train ride of my life. Sounds dramatic, but on a seemingly never ending train through the middle of the night, I was pretty convinced.  

On a positive note, it only got better from there! In fact, I was blessed with a Romanian angel at about 4am. As I was dosing after several hours of feeling very sick, I felt a hand from the lady next to me move my head to her shoulder. She offered it to me earlier, but I politely declined. As I woke up confused why I was sleeping on a woman I didn't know I moved my head back up just to feel her place it gently back on her shoulder. No words were said except a small attempt to thank her, but she was a silent comfort and blessing to me.

The whole group getting ready to board the train
After a long night, we were so relieved to finally get off!!
 Mamaia is a beach resort in Constanta, Romania, that is very popular to the locals. I really do feel like I am living the true Romanian life because Mamaia is THE place Romanians to travel to if they want to see the beach. Apart from the abundant amounts of topless people, naked kids, and unnecessary speedos, the Black Sea isn’t much different than beaches you’d see in the States. The people we met there were really nice and we loved our hotel! 

Fresh off the train and happy to see the coast!

There was live music and dancing at the outdoor pool and restaurant right outside and it was only 50 meters from the beach! Perfect location and we loved everything about it!  
Yay for Taxi men who take pictures for us!

One of the days, we decided to explore the city of Constanta a little. Our adventures brought us to a scenic self-powered tour around a beautiful park in the city. Bike rentals were so cheap so we had to take advantage of it! Some stares, giggles, and a little off roading didn’t stop is from having a blast our 5-man powered bike! Along the way we saw some cool things like a beautiful Orthodox church!

Some intense pedaling action from the back row!



We concluded the last night with some mocktails and live music.  Perfect ending! On Sunday we found the Constanta branch and were able to go to church before the long train ride back home. The members were so gracious and welcoming of us into the Branch. 
Mocktails with Caroline!
The group met back together at the Branch on Sunday


To make up for my rather negative comment about the previous train ride, I am pleased to report the ride back home was far more enjoyable. If you need 9 hours to kill, all you need is endless pretzels and mind games. It worked for us! :)
Me and Mel on the train
It was a wonderful week get-a-way, but I was very anxious to get back to work to see my little boys! I may have not gotten tan, but after my return one of the kids pointed to my arms and went on to tell me how many “boobah’s (boo-boos/owies..etc) I had. I guess he’s never seen freckles before ;) If nothing else, this is one way to prove that an all-American red head got some sun!
Jumps and cheers for the Black Sea and a wonderful trip!

1 comment:

  1. I can't stop thinking about that 5 person bike contraption, and how much I want one. But I'll admit I'm pretty jealous of such an awesome mini adventure, especially within your larger romania adventure! Treabā bunā! You're Great!

    ReplyDelete