Sunday, June 2, 2013

And then I became a mother of 5..

Many of you want to hear about the kids and I don't blame you! They are why I am here and they take up most of my time every day! I am not allowed to take pictures of the kids at the orphanage or the hospital otherwise this blog would be FULL of them!

These kids are so easy to love! They have the hardest lives, yet they are some of the happiest kids I know. I work specifically with 5 young boys. They are all very different and have different challenges. Like the title suggests, I feel like a young mother who has adopted these kids. Shout out to my mom who is the best mom I know! I am getting a small glimpse of what motherhood is like and it is not easy! But so worth it.

I have had some sweet experiences with the kids so far. Here are just a few:

The ICU has several babies without moms there. One day this past week there were 3 brand new babies placed in the ICU. Two of them were only 12 days old, the other was a month old, and they were all tiny and adorable! The birth certificates above their cribs had the name of the mother who had given birth to them, but then abandoned them at the children's hospital. I sat with each baby, holding them in my arms, asking how someone could give up something so perfect. I had been in Romania longer than they have even been alive! Although I have nieces and nephews, I have never held a baby so young before.  It was such a cool experience looking at these helpless little humans who were the closest thing to perfection I have probably been around. After that day, the ICU nurses wouldn't let any of the interns in to see or hold the babies for whatever reason. I was very glad I was able to spend that time with them, and really hope in the future that we are allowed in.

While we go room to room to the kids without moms, we meet a lot of people in the hospital. Whether they are Gypsy families, sick kids, or mother's staying overnight with their children, I have met many different types of people and had some great conversations. Several of the hospital rooms have big windows so you can see into the other rooms as well. One day while I was in one of the hospital rooms, I saw a family close by that was visiting their baby. There was a mom, dad, some kids, and another adult. It was the first time I have seen a whole family together there.. Great sight.

Today I decided to go into hospital for a little bit to visit some of the kids. When me and Caroline walked into the room with 4 orphans in it, 2 of the toddlers jumped right up with a huge grin on their face and starting screaming with joy! We spent the next hour and a half playing and holding these kids. It didn't take much, just attention to make their day. And their excitement as we walked in the door easily made mine!

Kids are smart. I am quickly learning that this is both a good and hard thing sometimes! One of the most rewarding things, however, is when you know a child understood and demonstrate what you are trying to teach them. My little boys in the orphanage LOVE music. It is the first and last thing they ask for when we come in. We have really been working to use their love for music in more intentional ways like learning new songs, games with songs, and making rules with the music so they don't just stare at the iPod for hours on end. It is hard, but they are responding well and maybe by the end of the summer they will finally get it. I am learning patience, but the little look in my 6 year old's eyes when he puts one hand behind his back and the other palm straight out, looking up at me waiting for his turn for the music is pretty endearing. Much better than the riot that is usually caused with "sharing" the iPod.

Some of my favorite moments are created when we get to take the kids outside. One of these moments happened last week at the park. I spun around and around (and around...) all morning on a carousel with a laughing boy on my lap, 3 more smiling faces filling the other seats, and another screaming at me from the swings. It may not be much, but it was a precious sight of 5 happy boys.

My favorite part of the morning is walking into the door to lots of huge smiles, snotty noses, voices yelling "buna, buna!", and arms reached out to me! It never gets old!

The work I am doing here is made up of a lot of small stories. These moments combine to create an experience I couldn't have asked for anywhere else. Learning how to do something worthwhile without immediate recognition or gratitude handed over is one of the best things I think we can learn in this life. No baby starts thanking me for my service, their mothers have no idea we are here, and sometimes we get pushed away by nurses, but we continue anyway. I have gained a greater appreciation for the Atonement through this experience.  Like these babies, we are each children of our Heavenly Father. Christ suffered and performed the ultimate sacrifice of the Atonement for each one of us. We often don't thank Him for all we have been given, we can't completely comprehend what Christ did for us, and yet, sometimes we push away his helping hand. As much as these children are suffering, Christ felt their pain and knows each one of them personally. He has blessed in us the desire to serve and help those who cannot help themselves. I am so grateful every day for this opportunity to serve my younger brothers and sisters here in Romania.

This is a quote from a talk Elder Dallin H. Oaks, one of the apostles of the church, gave last Oct conference called "Protect the Children".  You can read the full talk here:


"I have spoken for children—children everywhere. Some may reject some of these examples, but none should resist the plea that we unite to increase our concern for the welfare and future of our children—the rising generation...We are speaking of the children of God, and with His powerful help, we can do more to help them." -Elder Dallin H. Oaks

“Whosoever therefore shall humble himself as this little child, the same is greatest in the kingdom of heaven”  - Matthew 18:3-4

I am continually grateful for this experience and to the immense support so many people have shown me!

4 comments:

  1. Amazing post, Kayla! SO proud of you and the work you are doing and so glad you wanted this experience!
    *mom*

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Kayla! So glad your mom passed on the link to your blog. I'm reading it faithfully and love it! You are an amazing young lady to take this opportunity and give of yourself in service to these beautiful children. Thanks for sharing -- keep up the good work!

    Love, Aunt Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  4. :) ! (That's probably the best way to describe what this post gave me: just one big happy smile and a little warmth in the heart) You're a blessing

    ReplyDelete