Sunday, July 21, 2013

Updates!

Creative title, right? It's probably what I struggle with most about blogging! I finally gave up after staring at the "Post title" box for several minutes. Anyway, it's been an eventful week! I don't having "what-ifs" and "wish-I-could-haves", so I decided I would do all I could not to have them in Romania. :) Since we are reaching the end, many of us have unofficial "Romania bucket lists" we are fulfilling. Here are some of the adventures we've been up to recently. First, Air Soft Guns in a nearby mall. We went with our good friend, Radu, from the branch. 
Me and Cynthia were a little skeptical of the Air Soft guns.... First-timers
Air soft guns in Romania with Radu!
 This is what happens when you wear 2 jackets to protect yourself from the shots...
I may have sweated a little bit...
Last weekend we got to go to the countryside with our in country-facilitator, Mario, to see he family. The countryside is beautiful, but along with that, the people live such amazing lives. They are completely self sustained and provide everything for themselves that they need. They have a huge garden with anything and everything you can imagine, chickens for eggs and meat, pigs for meat, cows for milk and meat, horses to help with the work, a well with fresh water, and nearby wheat field they use to make their own flour and bread. What else do you need? Their homes are completely build by their own hands and they are some of the nicest people I've met!
Romanian grandpas give the best hugs
We had a traditional countryside lunch while we were there


Just a small part of the huge garden yard
The cellar where the homemade wine is stored
Last Saturday was the 20th anniversary of the Romania/Moldova mission opening. In celebration we had a ward activity that consisted of a slideshow from the beginning of the Isai branch on. A few of us also were able to be part of a special musical number with the full-time missionaries in Romanian. I really enjoy singing in Romanian because the spirit is the same.
The Branch!!

We  have lots of Movie nights here! With 10 other girls, we have "girls nights" every single night and it is so fun. Granted, we don't have any time away from each other, but I haven't gotten sick of it yet. I love these girls and am so happy we all were able to experience this together!
Movie Night!!
Giving a show to the people behind us ;)
Attempting to work out in our small dark apartment
We love vendors. We find the coolest stuff there and meet some cool people as well.
The vendor tents!
This man made me a leather belt fit especially for me!
Something on my bucket list was to see a dance concert while here in Romania. Being the dancer that I am, I was curious what it would be like here. Unfortunately, I found out....Don't get me wrong I was so glad I was able to go, but it was the weirdest experience I have ever had! Me and Shelly, both studying contemporary dance at BYU, went together and were quite surprised at the show. Regardless, it was fun to experience and we have some fun insights and memories from the night!
Something that does feel like home is the rainstorms we have here. I have never been in a strom that is comparable to good ol' Texas thunderstorms, but they compare pretty good here!
Watching one of the many storms roll by
Finally, we had a bridal shower for Aislynn who is getting married in just a couple weeks!!We went to a little drink and dessert place and then back to the apartment for gifts and games!


Looking back, we've done a lot these few months in Romania. In addition the last week has been full of a lot of reflection and memories. No matter how many things we really do accomplish and cross off the "bucket-list", the memories and forgettable experiences are the things that will stick with us the longest.


2 comments:

  1. Awesome Kayla thanks!! And let me guess-the butt picture was your idea? :)
    jenna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha actually no, it was a real candid shot!

    ReplyDelete